About Elias Masilela
Recently, CEO of the Public Investment Corporation (PIC). Other previous employers are the Central Bank of Swaziland, National Treasury and Sanlam.
He holds a BA degree in Social Sciences (Economics and Statistics) from the University of Swaziland, and an MSc in Economic Policy and Analysis with a specialisation in Money, Banking and International Economics, from the Addis Ababa University.
He has a long professional history, characterised by a deepness of understanding of the policy environment, grounded in sectoral and international matters. He has originated and ran several policy initiatives in South Africa.
He has lectured, written and published widely, in Swaziland, South Africa and elsewhere.
One of his latest writings has literally re-written the history of the Kingdom of Swaziland and provided an entirely new and interesting perspective to South Africa’s liberation. The title of the book is “Number 43 Trelawney Park; kwaMagogo”.
The book was amongst a few select titles identified to represent South Africa at the London Book Fair Market Focus in April 2010. Currently, it is being translated into a stage musical, by Mbongeni Ngema, to capture over a century of relentless struggle for liberation.
He has sat on many influential Boards in South Africa, in different capacities, such as the Board of the South African Savings Institute (SASI), the South African Reserve Bank (SARB), the Government Employee Pension Fund (GEPF) and that of the Economic Research Southern Africa (ERSA) as well as the UNGC Board advising the Secretary General of the UN.
He continues to influence thinking in South Africa, on policy, through his continued engagement as an opinion writer and commentator in the media.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Sciences (Economics and Statistics) from the University of Swaziland (UNISWA), 1986
- External Debt Monitoring, AfDB & World Bank, November 1992
- Master of Sciences in Economic Policy and Analysis with a specialisation in Money, Banking and International Economics from the Addis Ababa University (A.A.U.), 1995
- Macroeconomic Policy and Management, Harvard University, July 1998
- Global Financial System: Structure, Crisis and Reform, Harvard University, July-August 2001
- Essentials of Decision Making, Harvard University, June 2002
- Strategies for Persuasion, Harvard University, June 2002
- Key Individual as per FSB Regulations, April 2013
- Executive Chairman, DNA Economics, SA, July 2014
- Independent Advisor, DaMina Advisors & Gerson Lehman Group, NY, July 2014
- Chairman, Economic Research Southern Africa (ERSA), SA, Nov 2014-Oct 2019
- Member, Board of Multichoice SA, April 2015 – March 2018
- ARC, Multichoice SA, April 2015 – March 2018
- Visiting Senior Fellow, Wits University, April 2015 – March 2018
- Member Steering Comm. of DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Human Development, May 2015
- Consultant, Africoil Zimbabwe, May 2015
- Member, UN Global Compact Board, NY, March 2012 – June 2015
- Commissioner, First National Planning Commission (NPC), SA, April 2010 – May 2015
- CEO, Public Investment Corporation (PIC), February 2011 – June 2014
- Head of Policy Analysis, Sanlam, July of 2005 – January 2011
- Member, Board of the South African Reserve Bank (SARB), May 2008 – January 2011
- Member, Board of the Government Employee Pension Fund (GEPF), August 2008 – January 2011
- Member, Board of Airports Company SA (ACSA), January 2012 – October 2013
- Act. Dep. Director General Economic Policy, National Treasury, February 1998 – June 2005
- Director of Research, Central Bank of Swaziland, June 1997 - January 1998
- Swaziland Institute of Management and Public Administration (SIMPA), SD
- University of Swaziland (UNISWA), SD
- Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute (MEFMI), Harare
- University of Pretoria, SA
- University of Cape Town, SA
- World Bank, Washington DC
- Southern African Development Community (SADC), Botswana
- Wits University, SA
- Deep understanding of policy environment, grounded in sectoral and international matters
- Author, 2007 Top 40 list, Alan Paton nominee
- No. 1 SWF Leader In Africa, 2013
- Lectured widely
- Trainer & public speaker: strategy/policy, savings/retirement/investments/risk management
- Market policy commentator
- Global events organiser